Friday, January 4, 2013

New blog

Hello all. With the New Year I decided to start blogging again mostly to have an outlet to vent about the things we deal with our children, especially our 3 year old son Riley. He was born with Albinism, a genetic condition in which he does not produce pigment and therefore gets sunburned really easily. It also causes low vision and light sensitivity. Luckily, he was diagnosed the day after he was born so we learned about it quickly. We also found NOAH (Natioanl Organization of Albinism and Hypopigmentation) which has become our second family and through which we have met many wonderful people. My son also was recently diagnosed with Autism, although we knew he had it since he was 2. Our son Riley has always been different from "normal" kids, but it never bugged us. The only that truly bothers me is his lack of speech. I yearn for the day that I will hear him say something to me. I desperately want him to be able to tell me anything and everything. His lack of speech is a major reason for his frustrations and he tends to have fits when he cannot express to us what he needs/wants. He is always giggling and I want to know what is so funny. He is a cute and happy kid and that is what is important but I always want was is best for him. I take him to whatever therapies he needs but it has always been depressing to me that I have to do all this extra stuff for my son to be a normal kid instead of driving him to karate, ballet, gymnastics, t-ball, etc. It is hard to find time for that kind of thing. It is also depressing when everyone around you is having healthy, happy babies. You are really happy for them but quietly you think why couldn't I have had that? It is especially depressing when people who have accidental babies or get pregnant and did not want children have a "perfect" child. As you can tell, I am battling with some depression from the lack of "normalcy" for my son. I started this blog to vent some of this and to hopefully use it as therapy. It is much more healthy than wine :) We had our beautiful baby girl in September and she was born without Albinsim and hopefully will not have Autism. I will be frantically watching her develop and will not relax until she is two. Eric and I are so hoping that she will not have it so that she can have an easier life and so that she will be able to help her brother. Normal sibilings are extremely helpful to kids with Autism since it helps them see what is expected of them. If anyone is out there reading, thank-you! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment